Taxis For All Campaign
Skip NavigationNAVIGATION

 

Previous Posts

A friend in City Hall...

Daily News letters smack Bloomberg on taxis

Daily News: Medallion prices at $600,000

Hybrid Yellow Cabs: Don't Forget the Disabled

Statement of Anne Davis, Chair, Taxis For All Camp...

Wheelchair Users from Across U.S. Call for More Ac...

LETTER to Taxi and Limousine Commission Chair Matt...


Taxis For All Campaign News Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2007
 
OK, Folks:

Tonight marks a personal milestone in my life: I rode in a wheelchair accessible taxi from Union Square. I was at the bus stop, stranded at the curb and feeling low because two buses had passed me for one reason or another (one's lift was broken, and the other had 2 wheelchair passengers already, so it was fully booked as far as I was concerned, as I use a wheelchair. I was about to call the MTA Complaint line (but of course, couldn't find the number), when I noticed a woman getting out of a taxi in the bus stop. The taxi had an access symbol on it, so I flagged it down. It was great. The driver had never driven a Chevy Uplander before, as he is only an occasional driver, but he figured out how to fold up the seat and deploy the ramp in 2 seconds flat. We had an uneventful and smooth ride to where I live down near Battery Park at the bottom of West Street. The meter was at $10. I was so excited I gave him a $5 tip.

Yippee! It's progress! But in the end, it's just one accessible taxi ride in the last 3.5 years in New York City! The last time I was in an accessible for-hire-vehicle was when I went to Christie's to pick up some chairs I bought at auction and I loaded them into an A RIDE FOR ALL van. I should say that I got yelled at by Les Jacobs, who did not like his car service being used as a moving van. Is that company still in business?

Anyway, it would be great if there were more accessible taxis on the road.

Does anyone else have a similar experience to report?

Let us know,
Alexander
posted by Webmaster 2 at
  email this post  
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home